UPDATE: Condo fire caused by discarded cigarette - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Condo fire caused by discarded cigarette

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says a fire that destroyed a condominium building on Saturday was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials.

12 people were left without a home early Saturday morning after fire ripped through the building at 5805 Muirfield Dr. SW.

Officials say the blaze took out the roof of the building. Some personal belongings were able to be saved, but the building is considered a total loss.

The fire department says cigarette were left burning in a clay flower pot and that led to the fire spreading to the vinyl siding.

The American Red Cross provided 12 people with lodging.

Powered by Frankly