Former Dubuque principal facing more pornography charges - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Former Dubuque principal facing more pornography charges

Posted:
Robert William Burke Robert William Burke
DUBUQUE (KWWL) -

The former principal at Sageville Elementary School in Dubuque is now facing more pornography charges.

Robert Burke, 43, who was charged in June of one count of receiving child pornography is now charged with production, distribution, receipt, and possession of child pornography. The charges were filed Tuesday in United States District Court in Cedar Rapids.

The indictment alleges that Burke used minors to produce child pornography without their knowledge and also received images of child pornography through the Internet and distributed those images.  It also alleges that Burke had four hard drives with child pornography on them.

In a complaint filed in June, it is alleged that the former principal told investigators on June 3 that he hid a video camera in the boys' bathroom at Sageville Elementary and captured images of students using the bathroom.  Burke said that had not touched any children in a sexual manner.

Burke pleaded not guilty in June to the first charge.

If convicted, Burke faces a between 15 and 110 years in prison, $1,750,000 in fines, $700 in special assessments, and from five years to life of supervised release.

Burke is set to be arraigned on the new charges Wednesday at Noon in Cedar Rapids.

At an emergency meeting of the Dubuque School Board on June 4, the board voted 6-0 to fire Burke. Superintended Larie Godinez had recommended the action after what she said was Burke's admission of guilt.

Jean McDonald was appointed as the new principal of Sageville Elementary earlier this month.

Powered by Frankly