Baby crying alerts family to house fire in Cedar Rapids - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Baby crying alerts family to house fire in Cedar Rapids

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

Firefighters credit a baby crying with saving a Cedar Rapids family from a house fire.

Justin Jenney woke up just after 2 a.m. on Friday because his one-year-old daughter was crying. When he woke up, he could smell smoke and saw smoke on the first floor of the house coming from the basement.

Jenney woke up his girlfriend and their four-year-old son and all four family members escaped the home safely.

When firefighters arrived  at 1436 M Street SW, the basement was full of thick, black smoke. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to pinpoint the fire within the thick smoke. The fire appeared to be concentrated around a dehumidifier. Fire crews were able to contain the fire to the basement. There was smoke damage throughout the house.

The family was displaced for the night and was helped by the American Red Cross.

Investigators determined the fire was unintentional and originated at the dehumidifier in the basement.

The smoke alarms in the house were not working because of worn or missing batteries. 

Powered by Frankly