Fire damages Outback Steakhouse in Cedar Rapids - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire damages Outback Steakhouse in Cedar Rapids

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says a fire Wednesday morning damaged the outside of Outback Steakhouse on 1st Avenue.

Crews were called to the restaurant at 3939 1st Avenue SE around 11:36 a.m. after employees at a nearby car dealership saw flames in the back of the building.

Two employees were inside at the time.  Taran Evans, 28, was in the cooler when he smelled smoke.  Evans used a garden hose to try and put out the fire.  The other employee, 26-year-old C.J. Madison, left the building.

Firefighters found some flames in the attic area that they put out.

The fire was contained to the exterior wall and attic, a privacy wall and a storage shed.  The inside of the restaurant was not damaged.

Linn County Public Health confirmed that they could open Wednesday as scheduled.

The Fire Department says the fire started on the back patio where several cigarettes were found.

Powered by Frankly