Crews respond to fire at Penford Products - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Crews respond to fire at Penford Products

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

Cedar Rapids firefighters were called to a fire at Penford Products on Wednesday afternoon.

Crews were called to 1001 1st Street SW around 1:26 p.m.

When they arrived, the Penford emergency response team had already put out a majority of the fire which started in insulation that was around ductwork that was above a corn starch dryer on the third floor.

Penford employees and firefighters spent about 90 minutes making sure the fire had not spread.  They determined that the damage was confined to the insulation above the dryer, resulting in minimal property damage.

Firefighters did have to contend with temperatures above 200 degrees Fahrenheit in the area of the dryer.

No injuries were reported, but firefighters were helped by Area Ambulance Service and The Salvation Army as they rotated work in the hot temperatures around the dryer.

Powered by Frankly