Get your full refund from the IRS - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Get your full refund from the IRS


The deadline to file taxes is April 18, and more than half of all Iowans have already filed, according to the IRS.

Representatives from the IRS stopped in Dubuque Tuesday. They urge taxpayers who haven't yet filed their returns to make sure they're not missing out on the Earned Income Tax Credit, or EITC. The representatives said those who have filed can still get the EITC if they forgot it on their original form.

IRS spokesperson Christopher Miller said the EITC can give up to $5,600 to qualifying families.

"Last year in the Dubuque area alone, this one credit was $10 million to some 5,000 families here, and the average credit was just over $1,900," Miller said. "That's a lot of money for families trying to make ends meet. That's why we want people to know about it."

However, the EITC doesn't come automatically, Miller said, "so when you fill out your tax return, make sure you ask for the Earned Income Tax Credit if you think you qualify."

For those who have already filed, there's a way to amend their return.

"For anyone who has filed your return and you later find a credit or a deduction that adds substantially to your refund, or maybe you find some other income you didn't declare, you can file an amended return. That's a 1040X," Miller said.

Taxpayers can file the 1040X form after the April 18 deadline, Miller said, as long as they have filed their regular 1040 form on time.

Taxpayers can file their return electronically. Iowa, in fact, is the top state in the nation for e-filing, with about 70 percent of all Iowans filing online last year.

For those whose Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is less than $58,000 per year, e-filing with online tax software is free on the IRS Website. Click HERE or see the link on the left.

IRS Criminal Investigation special agent John Nunez warns taxpayers to look out for tax preparers fraud. He said warning signs include tax preparers who promise a larger return if taxpayers pay a higher fee.

Nunez said find a trusted, experienced tax preparer, since a fraudulent one can get the taxpayer in trouble.

"The individual taxpayer, who signs the return, they are responsible for the information contained on the return, so that's why it's very important to do your homework and check out the credentials and the qualifications of your return preparer," Nunez said.

He said if you get an e-mail that says it's from the IRS, asking you for personal financial information, it's likely a scam. Nunez said the IRS never initiates contact with people via e-mail.

People can forward any such e-mail that seems like a scam to

Powered by Frankly