UPDATE: CR house fire blamed on discarded smoking materials - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: CR house fire blamed on discarded smoking materials

Posted:
CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says an early morning house fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials. 

Crews were called to the 800 block of M Ave. NW around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Authorities say Ryan Frith, 28, and Tara Potts, 27, woke up just before flames broke the window to their bedroom.   They woke up a roommate, 30-year-old Chante Harrington. 

All three got out safely. 

Fire officials say the fire started when someone threw smoking materials in a garbage can, igniting combustible materials inside. The house has serious smoke and fire damage.  

 

Powered by Frankly