Iowa Stadium excavation started in 1929 - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Iowa Stadium excavation started in 1929

Posted:

IOWA CITY (KWWL) -- Excavation for Iowa Stadium, now called Kinnick Stadium, began March 6, 1929.

It took crews 199 days, working 12 hour shifts, six days a week and $500,000 to finish the 30-foot below ground dig.

The work was finished Sept. 20.  About 250 men worked on the project.  Many horses, reportedly about one a week, died during the process.

Iowa home games are played in the stadium, named after 1939 Heisman Trophy winner Nile Kinnick.  It has a capacity of 70,585, making it one of the 20 largest college-owned stadiums in the nation.

Online Producer: Mike Verlo

Powered by Frankly