Cigarette blamed for Cedar Rapids bar fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cigarette blamed for Cedar Rapids bar fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) --  A carelessly discarded cigarette is being blamed for a Cedar Rapids bar fire Thursday morning.

Firefighters were called to Pub Mitchell at 1100 1st Street SW just after closing time for a fire near the front entrance. When crews arrived, flames were visible near the front door of the bar.

They removed part of the siding and the roof to put out the flames and to make sure it hadn't spread.  The fire was mainly contained to that area of the building.

An investigation determined that a cigarette fell into an opening underneath the siding starting the fire in a two by four inch space between the drywall and siding.

No one was injured and two tenants who live in the building were allowed to return.

The business may be closed until repairs can be completed.

Powered by Frankly