Waterloo fatal fire started with scented wax warmer - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Waterloo fatal fire started with scented wax warmer in living room

Posted:
Sandra Rasmussen Sandra Rasmussen

WATERLOO (KWWL) -- A fatal fire that took a Waterloo woman's life started in the first-floor living room.  Officials say it started in the area where a scented wax warmer, powered by a light bulb, was sitting on a table.

It broke out around 9:00 a.m. and fire had engulfed the home by the time fire crews arrived.

Sandra Rasmussen died in the fire while trying to save her 17 year-old son who was also trapped, but he escaped thanks to a passerby who saw the fire.

An autopsy determined the 37-year-old mother of seven died from burns and smoke inhalation.

Funeral arrangements for Sandra Rasmussen are set for Thursday afternoon at Parrot and Wood funeral home in Waterloo.

Donations for the family are being taken at Veridian Credit Union and Iowa Credit Union located inside Wal-Mart.

Friends are also planning to set up a benefit for the family next month.

Powered by Frankly