UPDATE: Cedar Rapids man saves dogs when he finds house on fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Cedar Rapids man saves dogs when he finds house on fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says a garbage can placed on a stove was the cause of a Tuesday afternoon fire. 

Antone Lentner, 31, and his girlfriend, Kaitlyn Plasa, 21, returned to their home at 1602 13th Avenue SE and noticed that their front door was discolored and they could smell a strong smoke odor in the area.

Lentner went into his home through a first floor bedroom window to try and save his dogs and found a large amount of smoke inside.  He was able to find the dogs, a golden retriever and a great pyrenees, and move them into a fenced area behind the house.  Both were alive, but the great pyrenees had the hair on his back singed by the flames.  Both were evaluated by a veterinarian.

Firefighters arrived on scene around 12:40 p.m. to find smoke coming from the front of the two-story home.  They found heavy smoke and fire in the front half of the house on the first floor.

The first floor of the house suffered fire, heat and smoke damage.  The basement suffered smoke and water damage and the second floor had smoke damage. 

Lentner and Plasa are being helped by the American Red Cross.

Two pet birds did die in the fire.

Officials say the residents put a plastic trash container on top of the stove to keep the dogs from digging in the garbage.  The stove was apparently left on accidentally and started the fire which spread throughout the front half of the house.

People are reminded to keep combustibles at least three feet away from the stove.

Powered by Frankly