Three adults and one child escape CR house fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Three adults and one child escape CR house fire blamed on a candle

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) --  Three adults and one child were able to escape a house fire that is being blamed on a candle.

Cedar Rapids fire crews were called to the 1600 block of 12th Avenue southeast around 7:30 p.m. Thursday night.

Officials say 50-year-old Ann Randle was inside the home when she heard the smoke alarm from an upstairs bedroom and found the fire in a front bedroom. She and three others got out safely.

Crews say the fire destroyed a bedroom on the second floor, where there were several candles burning.  The exterior wall on the front of the house and a ceiling was also damaged. There was smoke damage throughout the second floor and some water damage to the first floor.

The cause has been determined to be an unattended candle that was in the front bedroom.

Three adults and one child are being assisted by the  Red Cross. The house is owned by Nancy Boddicker of Cedar Rapids.

 

 

 

Powered by Frankly