UPDATE: Dr. Mike Welton, Roswitha Marold, Die in Plane Crash - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Dr. Mike Welton, Roswitha Marold, Die in Colorado Plane Crash


WESTCLIFFE, CO (KWWL) --Family members, through a friend, confirmed to KWWL-TV Monday night that Dr. Michael O. Welton and his close friend, Roswitha Marold, are the two victims of a Sunday plane crash in Colorado.

The plane, owned by the well-known Waterloo urologist, disappeared Sunday afternoon in the mountains of Colorado. Searchers located the single engine Piper Monday afternoon with two people inside and no survivors.

The single-engine, six seat Piper Malibu, owned by Dr. Welton, took off from the Phoenix area on Sunday headed for Pueblo, Colorado. Friends say Dr. Welton made frequent trips to Arizona, piloting his Piper airplane. 

According to FlightAware.com, the flight departed Phoenix Deer Valley Airport at 1 p.m. Iowa time Sunday.

Officials say the plane disappeared from radar at about 2:45 p.m. Sunday after sending a distress signal when it was over the Sangre de Cristo mountains about 50 miles west of Pueblo.

Capt. Scott Orr with the Civil Air Patrol says the plane was found about a mile east of Blueberry Peak.

Positive identification of the two bodies is expected sometime Tuesday.

Dr. Welton is a longtime urologist with Northern Iowa Urological Associates in Waterloo. His office told KWWL-TV that Dr. Welton's family was already on its way to Colorado. In addition, a family friend told KWWL-TV that Roswitha Marold was with Dr. Welton on the trip back to Iowa from Arizona. Roswitha Marold is the former owner of The Victoria Room women's clothing store in downtown Waterloo.  

Friends say Dr. Welton loved to fly and had a close call in March of 2009.  Dr. Welton was forced to make an emergency landing west of Cedar Falls on Jepsen Rd.  Investigators said the plane's engine cut out as it approached to land at the Waterloo Regional Airport.  Our cameras captured the family removing luggage from the plane before Welton took off from the gravel road to land safely at the airport.

Online Reporter:  Ron Steele


Powered by Frankly