Carbon monoxide dangers - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Carbon monoxide dangers

Posted:

CEDAR FALLS (KWW) -- Carbon monoxide poisoning is a dangerous problem that is often heightened during winter months. The colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas can sicken anyone quickly and can lead to coma or even death.

The Cedar Falls Fire Department has been on several calls already this month dealing with carbon monoxide poisoning. Fire Chief John Schilling says it's a common call during this time of year.

"A lot of times due to lack of maintenance or lack of preventive maintenance hence there's leaks in the vent system of the house from the furnace no matter if it's coal burning, natural gas, or fuel oil then that exhaust gets in the atmosphere in the rooms of the house and they have exposure to carbon monoxide," said Schilling.

The signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, and drowsiness. This can also be accompanied by nausea, tightness in the chest, and vomiting.

"The fire service recommends that you have a carbon monoxide detector on every floor of your home and checked regularly to make sure... Most of them have a test button that you can press to make sure it's working properly. We also recommend that you have your home furnace tested and checked and cleaned on a regular basis by a licensed professional," said Schilling.

You also should make sure the vents on the outside the house are also clear.

Another carbon monoxide danger commonly found in the winter deals with the use of a generator. You should never use a generator indoors or in an enclosed area. Also make sure the generator has three to four feet of clearance on each side for ventilation purposes.

Online Reporter: John Wilmer

Powered by Frankly