Neighbor a hero in CR garage fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Neighbor a hero in CR garage fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL)-- A neighbor is credited for helping get a woman inside her burning garage out of harm's way.

Fire crews in Cedar Rapids were called to the fire in the 400 block of 20th Street Northwest around 4:30 Wednesday afternoon.

Officials say while 80-year-old Roberta Ackman was unloading groceries from her car in the garage when smoke started coming from her car's engine. The smoke soon turned to flames and spread to the entire garage.

Neighbor Paul Michelson saw the smoke and helped Ackman get to safety.  The fire spread from the attached garage to the woman's home by the time crews arrived. There was major fire, heat and smoke damage to the one half of the half. Fire crews verified that the fire did start in the vehicle in the garage, but an exact cause will likely not be determined as the vehicle is a complete loss.

The home's other owner, Diane Ackman was not home at the time of the fire. No one was injured. The American Red Cross is assisting the owners.

 

 

Powered by Frankly