Cigarette likely cause in Dubuque porch fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cigarette likely cause in Dubuque porch fire

Posted:

DUBUQUE (KWWL) -- The Dubuque Fire Department said a cigarette is the most probable cause of Monday morning's porch fire.

A 911 call placed around 9:30 a.m. brought the Dubuque Police and Fire Departments to 530 Clarke Drive.

The fire department said they were able to contain the blaze to the back porch, although some of the flames licked up near the attic. Damage to the house itself includes some smoke damage and the firefighters poking into drywall to search for embers.

21-year-old resident Travis Jasper said he, his 19-year-old brother and a third tenant were at home when the fire started.

"I just woke up. My brother was screaming that the house was on fire," Jasper said. "I wasn't aware that it actually was on fire. I seen the smoke, looked out back and seen the fire and just immediately got out of the house."

He said all three of them got out of the house unharmed.

Officials said the fire likely started after the 19-year-old son threw his cigarette out his second-story bedroom window and wind pushed it back onto the porch roof.

Jasper said it was a "Good Samaritan" who saw the flames and called 911 before the residents had even vacated the house.

Online Reporter Becca Habegger

Powered by Frankly