Cedar Rapids man hospitalized following morning apartment fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cedar Rapids man hospitalized following morning apartment fire

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- A Cedar Rapids man is being treated at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics for what firefighters are calling life threatening injuries after a Thursday morning apartment fire.

Crews were called to the Creekside Apartments at 3009 12th Avenue SW at around 7:20 Thursday morning after someone saw smoke coming from the first floor.

Other neighbors also saw the smoke and were outside yelling that someone was still inside the apartment that was on fire.

Ryan Walker, 23, went into the apartment and pulled the 59-year old man from the apartment before fire crews arrived.

He was taken to St. Luke's hospital and then later transferred to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the one apartment.  They say it sustained heavy smoke damage and moderate fire and heat damage.

Greg Buelow, spokesperson for the Cedar Rapids Fire Department, says the victim was the only person living in the apartment and adds that there was not a working smoke alarm installed in the apartment.

Buelow says the fire started in a trash can between a bed and a chair.

People living in the other 13 units were evacuated when neighbors pounded on their doors.

There were no other injuries reported.

Powered by Frankly