Cooking fire blamed for Cedar Rapids man's death in May - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Cooking fire blamed for Cedar Rapids man's death in May

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says a cooking fire led to the death of Rodney Lee Noye on May 10.

Investigators have determined that the stove was left in the "on" position and a large pan of oil was found on one of the stove's burners and oil was found on the stove.

Evidence indicates that the fire originated on the stovetop and then spread throughout the apartment.

Noye, 35, was found by firefighters just inside the doorway of the apartment.

Greg Buelow, spokesperson for the Cedar Rapids Fire Department, says cooking fires account for approximately 40 percent of all residential fires in Cedar Rapids.

Residents are reminded not to leave cooking food unattended.  Also make sure that smoke alarms are installed on every level of the home and near all sleeping areas for maximum protection. Smoke alarms should be tested monthly and the batteries should be replaced at least once a year.

Powered by Frankly