Number of kids swallowing dangerous disk batteries sky rockets - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Number of kids swallowing dangerous disk batteries sky rockets

Posted:

WATERLOO (KWWL) -- An increasing number of kids are getting hurt when they swallow disc batteries.

The American Association of Poison Control reports an 80 percent increase in these type of injuries during the past decade.

Ingesting disc batteries can cause minimal to severe damage to the esophagus.

Even burns if alkaline leaks from the battery.

Researchers urge parents who may suspect their child has swallowed a disc battery get immediate medical attention.

Online Anchor: Sunny Layne

Powered by Frankly