Two sentenced for 2009 Washington bank robbery - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Two sentenced for 2009 Washington bank robbery

DAVENPORT (KWWL) -- A Cedar Rapids woman and Washington man were sentenced Thursday for their roles in the 2009 robbery of the West Chester Savings Bank in Washington.

Raylon Deshon Jones, 20, of Washington, was sentenced to 10 years and 5 months in prison for bank robbery and possession of firearms in furtherance of violent crime.

Katelyn Marie Curtis, 19, of Cedar Rapids, was sentenced to 6 years and one month for the same charges.

Both are also ordered to serve three-years of supervised release, to pay assessments of $200 each to the Crime Victims Fund, and pay $400 each in restitution related to counseling for affected bank employees.

A third defendant in the case, Verkisha Latrice Burns, 21, of Cedar Rapids, was sentenced in July to 10 years and 7 months in prison on the same robbery and firearms charges.

Authorities say that on October 5, 2009, Curtis entered the West Chester Savings Bank in Washington, posing as a customer to case the bank. They say that minutes after Curtis left, Burns entered the bank, wearing a hooded sweatshirt and sunglasses.

Burns at first presented a note reading, "This is a robbery. Put the money in the bag. If you scream I will shoot. Put your hands where I can see them." A loan officer asked Burns to remove her hood. At that point, Burns pulled a gun, pointing it at loan officers and tellers, and took $3,760, which was stuffed in a blue bag.

Ten minutes after, witnesses saw Burns flee the area in a dark green vehicle, police stopped the vehicle on Highway 1 north of Washington. Curtis was driving, Jones was in the passenger seat. Burns was attempting to hide in the rear seat area of the vehicle.

After the suspects were arrested and the vehicle impounded, police obtained a warrant to search the vehicle, finding the blue bag containing $3760, a .25 cal. semi-automatic handgun, and the clothing worn by the robber.

This investigation was done by the Washington Police Department, the Washington County Sheriff's Office, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Powered by Frankly