UPDATE: Officials say boy injured in garage fire started the fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Officials say boy injured in garage fire started the fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- Investigators with the Cedar Rapids Fire Department say that an 8-year old boy who was injured during a garage fire on Tuesday started the fire. 

Fire crews were called to 1416 10th Street NW at around 4:25 pm Tuesday and found the detached garage fully engulfed in flames.

Crews were able to contain the fire to the garage, which they consider a complete loss.

Jayne Thomas, who owns the home with her husband Troy, called 911 to report the fire.

The Thomas' 8-year old son and 4-year old daughter were outside near the garage at the time of the fire.  The 8-year old was injured by flames and was taken to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries and released Tuesday afternoon.

Investigators say the boy was playing with a lighter inside the garage and set some cardboard boxes on fire.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, 85 percent of the victims of fires set by children are the child themselves or another child.

Parents and guardians are urged to make sure that lighters and matches are stored out of the sight and reach of children.

Children should be taught to tell an adult if they find matches or lighters, rather than picking them up and taking them to an adult.

Online Content Manager: Eric Page

Powered by Frankly