Garage damaged in morning fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Garage damaged in morning fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- Cedar Rapids Firefighters were able to save a house after a fire started in the attached garage.

Crews were called to 1215 32nd Street NE just before 10:00 Monday morning.

Latasha Cole, 25, was in a bedroom on the second floor when she smelled smoke coming from outside.

After some investigating, Cole realized the garage was on fire.

She called 911 and got herself and her 7-year old daughter out of the house.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from the eaves of the garage and flames at the bottom of the garage door.

Crews opened the garage door and put out the fire inside.

The damage was contained to the inside of the garage near the entryway to the house.

Some old clothes, a Christmas tree, and some other stored items were damaged.

No one was injured and the family was not displaced by the fire.

Firefighters say the smoke alarms activated after the family got out of the house.  They say there was likely not enough smoke inside the house to activate the alarms.

Cole and Jamal O'Neal, 32, are buying the house which is under the custodial care of Roger Hanson.  The deed holder is still listed as Robert Miell.

Miell, 55,  pleaded guilty to 18 counts of mail fraud and two counts of perjury and was convicted on two counts of tax fraud.

The charges stem from allegations that Miell made fraudulent reports to American Family Insurance of more than $336,000 in storm damage at 145 properties.

His sentencing, which started last September, was continued after he had a disagreement with his attorneys about him testifying.  It is scheduled to resume on August 17th.

Online Content Manager: Eric Page

Powered by Frankly