Wapello County Courthouse dedicated in 1894 - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Wapello County Courthouse dedicated in 1894

Posted:

WAPELLO COUNTY (KWWL) -- The current Wapello County Courthouse was dedicated May 17, 1894.

The original structure was a simple log cabin.  It was not long before that courthouse was abandoned in favor of a more suitable building.

The first permanent courthouse was a brick structure that cost about $1,000.  This building was used until 1855, when it was sold to a church.

The second permanent courthouse was used until 1891.  It was two stories, but twice the size of the old brick courthouse.  It was eventually demolished to make way for the third permanent and current courthouse.

That building cost $135,000 and was dedicated May 17, 1894.  Rough cut sandstone was used for the five-story building.  A large corner clock tower was part of the original design.

In 1950 the clock tower and several chimneys were removed. About 450 tons of bricks were removed to help alleviate stress on the building. At the apex of the building stands an Indian statue representing Chief Wapello.

Online Producer: Mike Verlo
Online Source: Iowa Courts

Powered by Frankly