Financial Tip of the Week from the Iowa Bankers Association:
With summer just around the corner, here are a few money-saving tips for you to consider:
- Check out books from your library. If you love to read and regularly purchase books, consider going to the library and checking out books for free. You'll have an endless selection of books at your fingertips and can save your cash for other necessities.
- Combine your cable, Internet and telephone service with one company. If you currently have different companies that provide these services, combining services with one company may end up costing less while offering the convenience of a single bill to pay each month.
- Cancel your gym membership and get active outdoors. If you aren't spending much time at the gym this time of year, it may be a good time to cancel your membership and save some cash. And with great summer weather ahead, you'll still be able to find ways to get your exercise outdoors walking, biking, hiking or with other activities.
- Turn off the air conditioning. You'll save money and reduce your family's energy use by only using the air conditioner when needed. Be aware of the weather forecast, and if a cool evening is in store, plan to open the windows instead of turning on the A/C.
- Save on your family vacation. You can save by traveling during off-peak times and planning ahead for meals and lodging. You can save even more money by packing meals rather than dining out.
These financial tips are provided by the Iowa Bankers Association (IBA), representing banks and thrifts in the state. For more information go to www.iowabankers.com.