Extension cord blamed for Cedar Rapids fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Extension cord blamed for Cedar Rapids fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- The Cedar Rapids Fire Department says an extension cord is to blame for a Tuesday morning fire.

Public Information Officer Greg Buelow says Dennis Clinton was driving by 201 27th Street Drive SE just after 7:00 a.m Tuesday when he saw smoke coming from the house.

Clinton stopped and began pounding on doors and windows to see if anyone was inside.

Victoria Lofgreen was inside at the time and was awakened by Clinton.

She was able to get out safely.

Firefighters found that the fire had started in the finished attic and were able to keep most of the damage to that area.

Investigators say an extension cord in the attic was either overloaded or was damaged by dresser drawers that were pushed against it.

They say Larry White, who lives in the attic, but was not home at the time of the fire, had two refrigerators, a microwave and toaster plugged into the extension cord.

A third person, Charles Rodenhizer, lives in the basement area and left around 6:50 a.m., but didn't smell or notice any smoke.

The house is owned by Patricia Whittenberger of Cedar Rapids.

Everyone is reminded to use extension cords wisely and not to overload them.

Online Content Manager: Eric Page

Powered by Frankly