Deck destroyed in early morning blaze - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Deck destroyed in early morning blaze

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL)-- Two people are safe after their deck caught fire overnight . Cedar Rapids fire crews say a passerby of a home in the 1900 block of K Street SW notice fire coming from the back of house around 2:10 Friday morning. The person pounded on the front door to alert those inside. Two people were in the home at the time of the fire; they both got out safely.

While crews were on their way, the home occupants attempted to extinguish the fire with a garden hose. The fire spread to the back side of the house, damaging part of a bathroom on the first floor of the two-story structure. In addition to the deck being destroyed, a lawn mower and snow blower sitting underneath were both ruined.

No one was injured. Fire crews say the fire may have started from hot coals or ashes that were used in a recreational fire Thursday night. That fire was about 10 feet from the deck.

Online Producer: Michelle Caldwell

Powered by Frankly