UPDATE: Cause determined in Cedar Rapids fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Cause determined in Cedar Rapids fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL)--  A combustible too close to a space heater caused a fire at a Cedar Rapids home Wednesday night. A neighbor heard the smoke alarm go off in the home, and called 911.

When crews arrived, smoke was coming out of the home located in the 1200 block of 32nd Street Northeast. The house was filled with smoke, and crews encountered a fire in the basement of the home.

No injuries were reported. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

The Fire Department reminds citizens that combustibles should be at least three feet away from a space heater.  The Department also recommends that space heaters are turned off before leaving the home or going to sleep.  Space heaters account for nearly one-third of all home heating fires.  According to the National Fire Protection Association, the leading factor in space heater fires is that the heater is too close to combustibles.

Online Producer: Michelle Caldwell 

 

Powered by Frankly