UPDATE: Cause of Cedar Rapids apartment fire determined - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

UPDATE: Cause of Cedar Rapids apartment fire determined

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) --  A 77-year old woman was taken to Mercy Medical Center after a fire at her Cedar Rapids apartment building Saturday morning.

It happened at the Oak Hill Manor Apartments on 15th street Southeast just before 7:30 a.m. Saturday.  Crews say the fire started in a bedroom of a second story apartment.

A neighbor found the woman outside of her apartment and helped her down the stairwell and outside before fire crews arrived. She was treated for smoke inhalation.

Crews say the smoke alarms were not working. A fire pull station was activated to sound the alarm and alert those in the apartments.

Greg Buelow with the Cedar Rapids Fire Department says that several candles placed to close to combustible material started the fire.

The bedroom where the fire started suffered extreme heat and fire damage and the entire apartment suffered smoke damage.

Buelow says that Cedar Rapids saw four residential fires started by candles in 2009.

Everyone is reminded to keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can catch fire and to put out candles before leaving the room or going to bed.

He also recommends that people use candle holders that are sturdy, and won't tip over easily.

Online Producer: Michelle Caldwell

Update by Online Content Manager: Eric Page

Powered by Frankly