Authorities stress chimney inspections after fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Authorities stress chimney inspections after fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) - Rescue crews in Cedar Rapids were busy with two fires early Monday morning.

The most recent started in a kitchen just before 8:00 a.m. on Eastern Boulevard SE.
The smoke alarm didn't go off because it didn't have a battery, but parents were able to get their five children to safety.

Another fire just after midnight happened on A Avenue NW.
Rescuers say it started in the chimney.
Everyone got out safely.
Authorities say people need to have their chimney inspected and cleaned to prevent the build up of creosote, which can lead to fire.

Online producer:  Adam Amdor

Powered by Frankly