Toddler dies in house fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Toddler dies in house fire

Posted:

HARDIN COUNTY (KWWL) - A Steamboat Rock toddler has died after suffering smoke inhalation in a house fire.

One-year-old John Eckheart was flown to Blank Children's Hospital in Des Moines after a house fire Wednesday night. On Thursday, the family decided to take the infant off life support.

John's father burned his hand trying to save his son, but only firefighters could reach the upstairs bedroom.

 The Eckheart family has been through a tough year. John was born with pneumonia and spent two months in NICU. John's father, an Iraq vet, was diagnosed with a heart arrhythmia, and has had two heart surgeries since he returned home.

John's aunt hopes other families take a moment to reflect on what's most important, "They have so much to be thankful for and they are so lucky to be where they are right now. To never take advantage of the family you have because anything can happen. One day they're there, and the next they're not."

A memorial fund has been setup for the family. Donations can be sent to the First Presbyterian Church C/O Pastor Bruce Baillie, P.O. Box 125 Steamboat Rock, Iowa 50672.

 

Online Producer: Maria Magner

 

Powered by Frankly