Disabled Man Rescued From Burning Apartment Building - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Disabled Man Rescued From Burning Apartment Building

Posted:

Cedar Rapids (KWWL) -- A 44 year old, wheelchair bound man had to be rescued from his apartment this afternoon after his neighbors kitchen started on fire.

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department was called to Oak Hill Manor at 1311 15th Street Southeast at around 1:30 p.m. this afternoon.

Kim Hartmann, the resident of apartment 105, says he was heating vegetable oil on his stove and left for about 20 minutes.

Hartmann came back to his apartment when the fire alarms in the building started going off, but was not able to get back in due to the smoke. 

Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly, and most of the damage was contained to Hartmann's apartment, though the entire building did suffer light smoke damage.

44 year old Ronald Bruce was in the apartment above Hartmann's.  Firefighters were able to break out a window in another apartment and rescue him.

Bruce was checked out by paramedics and was not injured.

A Cedar Rapids Police Officer was able to rescue Hartmann's cat from the fire before the fire department arrived.

About a dozen residents were evacuated, but Hartmann is the only resident displaced.  The American Red Cross is assisting him.

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department reminds everyone that cooking fires are the leading cause of residential fires.

They recommend that you stay in the kitchen while you are cooking and if a grease fire breaks out on the stove, carefully slide the lid over the pan and turn off the heat to the stovetop to smother the fire.

Online Content Manager: Eric Page

Powered by Frankly