LA authorities name teen as wildfire arson suspect - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

LA authorities name teen as wildfire arson suspect

Posted:

LOS ANGELES (KWWL) - Authorities say they believe a 13-year-old boy set a 2,100-acre wildfire last month in the San Gabriel Mountains north of Los Angeles.

Los Angeles County sheriff's Sgt. David Infante says his department asked prosecutors Wednesday to charge the boy with arson for the fire that started Aug. 25 in the Angeles National Forest and was contained Sept. 3 with no homes were damaged.

Infante didn't have the boy's name or other details. He says the teen isn't in custody.

District attorney spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons says charges will likely be filed Thursday.

The fire was dwarfed by another arson blaze in the Angeles National Forest that destroyed 89 homes. The 251-square-mile blaze started a day after the smaller one and is 91 percent contained.

Online News Director Nate Leding

Powered by Frankly