Grease fire spreads, damages Cedar Rapids house - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Grease fire spreads, damages Cedar Rapids house

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- An early morning kitchen fire became out of control and damged a house Sunday.

The Cedar Rapids Fire Department was called to a house on 21st St. SE at 12:59 a.m. Sunday.  The owner called 911 after a grease fire on the stove started to spread to other parts of the kitchen and house.

Firefighters were able to stop the blaze from spreding to the second floor.  There was major fire damage to the foyer, kitchen, living room and screened porch and significant smoke damage throughout the first floor of the house.

Officials later determined the fire was started unintentionally.  Authorities say the owner was not hurt and is staying with friends.

Online Producer: Mike Verlo

Powered by Frankly