My home is flooded - now what? - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

My home is flooded - now what?

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) - Cleaning up after flooding in your home can be dangerous. Here are some tips to keep in mind from the American Red Cross:

- Be careful when moving furnishings or debris, because they may be waterlogged and heavier.

- Throw out all food, beverages and medicine exposed to flood waters and mud, including canned goods and containers with food or liquid that have been sealed shut. When in doubt, throw it out.

- Some cleaning solutions can cause toxic fumes and other hazards if mixed together. If you smell a strong odor or your eyes water from the fumes or mixed chemicals, open a window and get out of your home.

- Throw out items that absorb water and cannot be cleaned or disinfected (mattresses, carpeting, cosmetics, stuffed animals and baby toys).

- Remove all drywall and insulation that has been in contact with flood waters.

- Clean hard surfaces (flooring, countertops and appliances) thoroughly with hot water and soap or a detergent.

- Caution: Carbon Monoxide Kills! Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal­burning devices inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area. Locate unit away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.

- The primary hazards to avoid when using alternate sources for electricity, heating or cooking are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock and fire.

Online Producer: Jason Mortvedt

Powered by Frankly