Hero pet attempts to wake up owner during fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Hero pet attempts to wake up owner during fire

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) - Tragedy was avoided, thanks to some everyday heroes and a pet, in Cedar Rapids.

On Wednesday, a still-lit cigarette caused a chair to catch on fire at Ernie Moomey's apartment at Creekside Apartments, which spread to a quilt draped over it.

A tenant and the complex manager found Moomey unconcious in the smoke-filled apartment, and carried him out. Moomey is recovering from smoke inhalation.

Fires are certainly nothing new to resident manager Lowell Michels.

"I'm retired Navy, so I've fought them on ships before," he said.

But Wednesday was his first time dealing with one at Creekside Apartments, and his first time witnessing an act of animal bravery.

"I opened up the door, and it was pretty black in there, and actually bumped into the bed, reached down and started to adjust my eyes." That's when Michels saw Doogie, Moomey's energetic Jack Russel terrier.

"He was laying there with Ernie, pushing him with his nose and licking his face trying to get Ernie awake."

Michels and another tenant, Nathan Fike, carried Moomey to safety, though he's sure Doogie would have done the same if he were a little bigger.

"He's a fighter. Oh, he's got the heart of a lion."

Doogie also showed dedication, staying by his master's side on his way to the ambulance.

"Once we got [Ernie] outside, he was running right up to Ernie at the paramedic's truck, still wondering about him."

Michels says Doogie probably inhaled quite a bit of smoke, but he's doing fine, and he's living proof that big heroes can come in small packages. By the way, Michels says Moomey came back to his apartment Thursday to get a few things before going back to the hospital. Doogie was the first thing he asked about.

Online Reporter - Brady Smith

Powered by Frankly