Iowa awarded $13.3 million in flood aid - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Iowa awarded $13.3 million in flood aid

Posted:

WATERLOO (KWWL) -- More than $10 million in federal and state funds have been identified and are in final approval for disaster recovery efforts around the state. These funds are part of the effort to help rebuild infrastructure following the historic floods of 2008.

"No one will ever forget the devastation caused by the floods of 2008 in these three counties," said Governor Culver. "But rebuilding continues, and one by one, communities are returning to normal. I appreciate the help of our federal partners, and I am proud to join with Congressman Loebsack in our common efforts at helping people who remain in need."

The projects are:

Linn County:

FEMA and the State have approved $1,672,958 for the City of Cedar Rapids to make repairs to the roads around the water treatment plant at 7525 Bertram Road in Cedar Rapids. Because of the Governor's efforts to have FEMA pay 90% of the cost, the city will save the 15% local match of $250,943. State funds will be used for the remaining 10 percent.

Linn County:

FEMA and the state have approved $1,829,173 for the City of Cedar Rapids to replace the Time Check Recreation Center. Because of the Governor's efforts to have FEMA pay 90% of the cost, the city will save the local match of $274,375. State funds will be used for the remaining 10 percent.

Linn County:

FEMA and the state have approved $1,469,574 for the City of Cedar Rapids to repair the Montessori School. Because of the Governor's efforts to have FEMA pay 90% of the cost, the city will save the local match of $220,436. State funds will be used for the remaining 10 percent.

Louisa & Des Moines County:

FEMA and the state have approved $5,049,979 to these counties to remove silt and reshape a drainage ditch, Main Ditch Slough DD 412, Louisa and Des Moines Counties. Because of the Governor's efforts to have FEMA pay 90% of the cost, the counties will save the 15% local match of $757,496. State funds will be used for the remaining 10 percent.

These projects are part of an expected 10,050 projects that will be identified under the State/FEMA Public Assistance Program designed to help public and certain non-profit agencies rebuild Iowa infrastructure and pay for response efforts. Eligible entities in 84 counties qualify for public assistance under the State and FEMA program. To date, the State and FEMA have obligated more than $606 million in federal and state funds for public assistance projects in Iowa.

Online Producer: Jason Mortvedt

Powered by Frankly