Grease fire forces family from home - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Grease fire forces family from home

Posted:

CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- A grease fire forced six people from their home Tuesday morning.

The fire happened just after 8 a.m. at 1125 Belmont Parkway NW. Two adults and four children were able to escape. Darcy Murray, age 27, went to a neighbor's house to call 911 after her 7-year old daughter notified her that there was a fire in the kitchen.

Firefighters found smoke coming from the eaves and front window of the home.

By the time firefighters arrived the fire was almost out. One of the other adults in the house, Chad Conway, age 27, had grabbed a pan of burning grease off of the stovetop and thrown the pan outside. He then took a couple of buckets of water and threw them on the remaining flames on the stovetop and nearby microwave. Firefighters had to ventilate the house, which had significant smoke damage throughout the entire first floor.

There were no injuries reported. Two adults and four children, between the ages of 3 and 9 years, were able to escape safely. The six occupants, along with three other adults that were not home at the time of the fire, are being assisted by the American Red Cross as they will likely be displaced until the smoke damage can be mitigated.

The fire was determined to be unintentional and the result of grease in a pan that overheated as the occupants were cooking doughnuts. There were no working smoke alarms in the structure, and the alarm closest to the kitchen did not have a battery.

The Fire Department says the best way to put out a grease fire is to smother the fire by putting a lid over the pan. Using an oven mitt, carefully place the lid over the pan and turn off the heat.

Online Producer: Jenn Jarvis

Powered by Frankly