Fire Marshall investigates Fayette fire - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Fire Marshall investigates Fayette fire

FAYETTE COUNTY (KWWL)-- Friday evening Fayette firefighters found 92-year-old Matthew Porter inside his burning house on 190th street in rural Fayette.

Porter was taken to the West Union Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The fire marshall said Porter had several medical problems. He lived alone, but nurses came to the house.

It's unclear at this time if Porter died of a medical condition and that's what sparked the fire or if he actually died in the fire.

The fire marshall said an autopsy and determining the cause of the fire could take several days.

If fire is found to be the cause of death, it would make this the 22nd fire related death so far this year. In all of last year -- 46 people died in fires.

Powered by Frankly