Students suspended for planned food fight - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

Students suspended for planned food fight

Dubuque (KWWL) -- An eastern Iowa high school food fight has police investigating and likely issuing charges against many high schoolers. The so-called "senior prank" at Senior High School in Dubuque is resulting in serious consequences.

Students at Senior dubbed the food fight "Operation: Sloppy Senior", something planned by some members of the senior class for months. On Friday, just after 11 a.m. students began hurling trays of cafeteria food around the high school lunchroom.

Students at Senior sent us video; many kids had cameras or cell phones recording the incident. It soon ended up on the internet, Youtube and Facebook.

Students say the day for the food fight was picked in advance based on the school's lunch menu. Friday, March 20th had pasta with marinara sauce and sloppy joes on the menu.

We're told that messy combination has ruined the paint in the cafeteria.  Now some of the students involved say they are suspended, and more punishment could be on the way. Students say the list of suspensions is over 75 students.

Dubuque police tell us the investigation is ongoing and so far police have not filed any formal charges, though they tell us they do expect to file charges soon.

Administrators at Senior High School have not returned KWWL phone or email messages.

Senior High School Principal Kim Swift told our coverage partner, the Telegraph Herald, twenty students have been suspended.

"We are describing it as an act of vandalism in the lunchroom," Swift told the TH.  "We don't want kids to think it's cool to have the best senior prank ever executed. This one definitely crossed the line."

Online Reporter:  Jamie Grey

Powered by Frankly