CR woman escapes burning home - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

CR woman escapes burning home


CEDAR RAPIDS (KWWL) -- A Cedar Rapids woman is safe after escaping her home as it went up in flames.

It happened around 8:15am Friday morning at 527, 20th Street NE.

Police tell KWWL Pam Bassett, 64 was working on her computer in a first floor den of her home when she heard a "popping" noise coming from the kitchen.  When Bassett went to investigate, she found her kitchen on fire.  Bassett grabbed a cordless phone and called 911 as she escaped the flames.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found flames shooting out the side and back of the home.  As firefighters entered the home, they encountered heavy heat and fire in the kitchen.  The fire had also extended into the second level of the home and throughout the house.  Firefighters say there is significant fire, heat and smoke damage to the entire home and contents.

Heat from the fire melted the siding of the property owner's detached garage and significantly damaged her car parked in the driveway.  Further, the fire's heat melted the siding of a neighbor's home at 523 20th Street NE.

The owner of the home wasn't hurt, but her pet Husky died inside the home. 

The fire department says its appears a coffee pot may have sparked the fire, but they won't have an offical cause until engineers investigate the scene.

Online Producer:  JJ Murray

Powered by Frankly